Fun Facts in Politics
So I've got this calendar called "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader." They put out a lot of books with strange trivia and corny jokes. I've never read the books, but my cousin got me the page-a-day calendar a few years ago, and I've been hooked ever since. So once in a while, when there's a particularly good one, I'll post it here. Check this one out:
"In 1946 the following ad appeared in several southern California newspapers: 'Wanted: Congressman candidate with no previous political experience to defeat a man who has represented his district in the house for 10 years. Any young man, resident of district, preferably a veteran, fair education, may apply for the job.'"
"The ad had been placed by the Republican party. The young man who answered the ad was awarded the job and did in fact defeat incumbent Jerry Voorhis after a dirty campaign. So who kicked off his political career by replying to a want ad?"
"Richard M. Nixon, born on this date in 1913."
Good stuff. But check out the footnote, which is even freakier:
"Lemon Pledge has more lemons than Country Time Lemonade."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home