The Double Standard: Exhibit A
Now I'm going to fire another salvo in the eternal Battle of the Sexes, of which we are all a warrior. Today's episode comes from the Macon, GA. Let me propose a hypothetical to begin with.
The scene is the weightroom part of the University Center...several 18 to 20-somethings mill about. Supple young ladies in sports bras and muscular gents in soccer shorts are engaged in your various lifts, curls, and extensions. Noba is stretching by the benches as he prepares to embark on another fitness journey. Within earshot are several college-aged males. Let's take you to the dialogue
"Butch": Hey Axel, you goin' to the strip club tonight?
"Axel": Hell yeah, Butch, I wouldn't miss a chance to see some titties floppin'.
B: What are you fav type of boobs?
A: Well, I don't describe to the "anything more than a mouthful is a waste" theory.
You get the picture. Well, this conversation took place DIRECTLY above me (I was stretching, remember). Sure, I didn't care, but only because I'm male and not easily offended in the first place. But if I was a girl of the same age, I would recognize that this is socially inappropriate to discuss this VERY LOUDLY within earshot of me. OK, like I said, that was a hypothetical. The real conversation took place between several sorority chicks. Replace "titty" with "dick" or a euphemism for a rooster, and that's the exact conversation I heard.
Apparently, there is a big male revue show in town tonight. I know because this wasn't the only time I heard about this while I was there tonight. At least three other times I overheard completely different girls talking about the same thing. Now, again, I'm not easily offended. But I do believe this is a double standard. For instance, in the aforemenetioned dialogue above, one of the girls was talking about how upset her boyfriend was about her going. Well, I'm pretty sure if her boyfriend had such a conversation about the female genitalia as a prelude to going to a strip club, she'd give him a hard smack. Her commentary on the reverse situation was, "He has no right to be pissed."
Don't get me wrong. I don't care if a girl I'm dating talks about sex, penises, whips and chains, whatever. I wouldn't even care if she went on a girls' night out with her friends to an all-male revue. But in terms of social protocol, I couldn't help but overhear these conversations, and it was a tad uncouth. I know these same girls would have had a dirty look or two ready for me if I was engaged in a porn-related discussion with some guys.
Ladies, I hope the dancers tonight look like Chris Farley in the famous Chippendale's sketch. Otherwise, have a blast.
P.S. Remember everyone, Mercer is a Baptist school. I just wanted to note how much funnier the situation is to me because of that. That's all.

1 Comments:
you seriously need to go on myspace to avoid those advertisement comments. I agree mostly...the only thing different is the relative likelihood of women to be talking about it v. men talking about it. Minus the male review in town, your chances of overhearing tity conversations greatly outweighs the chance of hearing women talk about dicks.
Post a Comment
<< Home