City Slicker, Scalawag
One entry found for scalawag.
Main Entry: scal·a·wag
Pronunciation: 'ska-li-"wag
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : SCAMP, REPROBATE
2 : a white Southerner acting in support of the reconstruction governments after the American Civil War often for private gain
I've lived in Macon for approximately 14 months out of my 24+ year life. I'm still kinda shocked it's been so long. Macon, Georgia is a town unlike any other I've lived. First, it's barely even a town of its on recognizance. The local news, and much of the business community, refer to themselves as part of the broader "Middle Georgia" region. My electric company? Central Georgia EMC. The Macon Knights arena football team? Bringing intense action to Middle Georgia. My pool supplier? Mid-State Pool Supplies over on Tom Hill Sr. Blvd. So Macon isn't so much it's own destination as the most remarkable spit-puddle in the middle of our great state.
The first four years of my life were spent in Roanoke, VA. It's about Macon's size, probably a little bit bigger. But it has charm - mountains, nature, all that crap. Then, of course, I spent 14 years in Atlanta - Dunwoody, to be exact. Lots of stuff to do, very fast paced. Then I spent 5 wondrous years in Athens, GA - a really great place. Now my address is in the Mackong Delta, and I'm bout halfway thru doing my time here (although I will be living in Atlanta this summer, thank God).
So what kind of impressions has my temporary home made? Well, for one thing, the Georgia National Fair is going on down the road in Perry, GA. Commercials and news coverage of this are insane. I feel like a snob big-time, but it's so weird to me how this 2 week long gathering for livestock-contests/scam-carnival-games/musical- guests-Styx-and-Hank-Williams,Jr(I'm not kidding)/chewing-tobacco-free-sample- giveaway dominates the lives of people around here. OK, so I guess that definitely makes me a snob. But I can't help it. We had "fairs" in Atlanta, too. It's just we called them "The Olympics" or "The Super Bowl." I feel so bad for the people my age around here. I've met many of them and eventhey lament how terrible it is to live here. Even they have to go to Atlanta or Athens to have dignity while they party. Growing up here, as some of them did, must have been torturous.
Anyway, that's all now. The 50th Georgia National Fair commercial of the day just sent me over the edge. Have a great week everybody. Oh, almost forgot . . . the quote of the week comes from Jose Canseco on the season finale of "The Surreal Life." Congratulations, Jose.
"Everytime I've tried to help a woman I've been incarcerated. So I will never do it again. I've learned my lesson. If I try to help a woman out, I'm going to jail."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home